To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Thursday, July 19, 2012

MCAT Prep + Racing

I raced 2/3 stages of the Rundle Mountain Stage Race this past weekend in Canmore, Alberta. We started off the morning at with a time trial at the Nordic Centre. The race was on their roller ski paths which was amazing because you didn't have to worry about traffic or anything. Unforunately, on Friday I took my bike into get my gears tuned up a bit as they were shifting a bit un-smoothly, put it in the car and didn't ride until Saturday morning before the TT. I don't know what they did to it, but I only had a choice of 3 cogs, middle, top and bottom. Safe to say my TT didn't go well, but when I was able to max out my gearing and put the hammer down, my legs felt strong. It was nice to feel strong again and feel like the power I put into my legs actually gets to the pedals.

In the afternoon was the Crit downtown. It poured for the women's race. I got dropped about half way through, but stuck it out in the pouring rain. There were a lot of crashes, both in my race and all of the other categories. At least 2 bad crashes per race, some had more than 5 guys crashing out. Even though I didn't place very well, my body still felt pretty good and I felt pretty strong. A lot of people after the race told me I was amazing because I pretty much rode half the race by myself in the pouring rain, and I didn't just ride, I rode hard.

Sunday night I went to the Mother Mother concert at the Coca-cola stage at the Calgary Stampede (100 years!) with a friend from high school. It was one crazy mosh pit...and if you know Mother Mother, you know that they are considered an 'alternative band' not a screamo mosh pit crowd surfing kind of band. Anyway, bye the time the concert was over, at least 3 people fell on my from above, I was covered in mud (it poured and the standing area is/was grass) and I had to throw out my shoes. It was fun, but also very, very painful. I can't count the times somebody stepped on my foot wearing cowboy boots, those things should be band from mosh pit like situations...

MCAT? What MCAT? Oh, right, the one I should be studying for instead of doing all of the above activities (including writing this blog). I am so screwed... starting to feel sick to my stomach about it actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment