To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Monday, April 8, 2013

Pain and Sleep

I am a very high functioning young adult with chronic pain. Seriously, how many people do you know with straight A's, who volunteer 10 hours per week, and ride a bike 16 hours a week who have chronic neurological pain? (If you do actually know somebody, please let me know, I would like to meet a this person.) I somehow manage to do things that most normal people, let alone people with chronic pain, can't do. To be honest, I have no idea how I can ride a bike, but somehow I do.

When you have chronic pain, you struggle to sleep, some people struggle to fall asleep, and some struggle to stay asleep. I am a member of the later group, I usually fall asleep within seconds of hitting the pillow, but I wake up about 4 hours later. My pain gets worse when my leg is still, so when I am awake my leg is in constant motion, but when I am in a deep sleep I don't move (like a normal human) and then my pain gets worse and I wake up in a grip of pain. On occasion, I actually sleep through the night, which means I get 9 hours of sleep. I usually go to bed around 10:30 and get up around 6:30-7:30 in order to maximize the potential amount of time I might be able to sleep. This tactic works pretty well because usually out of the 9 hours I spend in bed, I am asleep for 7 of them, meaning on average I get more sleep than my peers. So, strangely, chronic pain probably makes it so I actually sleep more....weird, huh?

My idea to write this post came from this article: "Extended Sleep Reduces Pain Sensitivity" And, as the title suggests, sleeping more means less pain. So, maybe the reason I am able to do all this stuff is that I actually experience less pain than my fellow nerve pain suffers because I sleep more? It is a possibility.  And, even if you don't have chronic pain, sleeping more may help you recover faster from that flu shot, dental procedure or surgery pending in your life. In the world of cycling, those who train hard and sleep a lot are generally the fastest. So if you don't have chronic pain, and are not predicting pain, sleeping might in the very least make you a faster cyclist.

On another note, I crashed riding in the ice/snow yesterday on a corner and sprained my thumb pretty badly. It isn't broken, but I think there is some ligament damage, hopefully the doctor will give me the verdict tomorrow. The worst part is that exams start next week, and it is my dominant hand. Maybe sleep will make it hurt less?
I learned how to tape it via youTube...it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment