To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Friday, June 21, 2013

The Flood of 2013

My city is flooding.

This morning I went to neurology/neurosurgery grand rounds, and everything felt completely normal. They had two crazy cases they discussed, and I walked out feeling awesome. Then I went back to my lab, and saw what was going on in the city. I felt like I was being punched in the stomach. This can't be real. This stuff doesn't happen where I live, only on the TV in distant lands.

I have spent my entire life watching other cities all over the world crumble in natural disasters such as earthquakes, tsunamis and floods, but never have I ever had to live it, that was until yesterday. My city is flooding and there is nothing I can do about it. I live on top of a hill, or as they would say in Ontario, on top of an escarpment.  I'm safe, I don't think the river is going to rise over 100m, yet I also feel the panic. So many people have been forced to evacuate, and the entire downtown area has flooded. The upside is that I had to leave work at 11:30 because they shut the power off in our building (I still don't know why...), but the rest of the hospital is fine.

I went to go buy water at the store today...and of course its all gone. I then went to target, and thankfully got four 1L bottles. I didn't want to buy more than that out of fear of being too greedy in this time of disaster. I brought 2 L to my grandmother, along with an umbrella. As of yet, our water and power are all on, but I fear that it may change in a few days. I also bought more food, such as a dried goods, canned things, 4L of milk, a crap load of juice because I couldn't find anymore water, and some more fruit. I have never had to respond to a natural disaster before, so I am new at this stocking up on supplies thing...I was proud that I remember to buy a flashlight though.

I feel very trapped here. I get that feeling on a normal basis, but when I do, I just drive back to the mountains of BC to my parent's house or to one of our cabins. But those roads are closed and/or completely washed out. So I am trapped in Calgary. I HATE FEELING TRAPPED!

I just want to go home....(which is also flooding, but I feel safer in the mountains).



1 comment:

  1. Happy Medical Monday. It's interesting that eastern part of the country is getting a lot of rain and nada for the west. We need to switch positions for two weeks to put the climate back into balance. In Chicago, it's been cool and rainy too. I love my summers to be in the mid 80's.

    ReplyDelete