To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Para-Cycling?

When I showed up for training at 8:30 am this morning, there were more people around than usual. Then in passing by, I saw my coach who told me the national team para-cycling coaches were running a mini-camp. I knew they were coming sometime in March, but I didn't know when.

The head coach at the cycling centre, SB, is also the para-cycling coach and he coaches a few of the HP para-Olympians. We have chatted a bit about my situation before, and we couldn't come to the conclusion if I was classifiable or not, and he wanted me to meet with the coaches when they came down (ie today). SB had a family emergency to attend to, and because he was gone I thought my chance of meeting with the para coaches was gone. I guess today was my lucky day!

The development coach ran through a few things with me, like the heel to toe walking tests, running your foot down your shin...you know, all of those neuro tests. I did them before and after riding. He said that riding or exercise brings more symptoms out in people, and if that happens, they have a good case for classifying. It happened to me. So, it looks like I might have a chance at classifying either C4 or C5 (hopefully not C5 because most people in that category have only upper are impairments which really has no affect on your ability to put power into the pedals).

The next step is to do some testing with a physiotherapist immediately after a hard workout. Maybe, just maybe, I will classify.

No comments:

Post a Comment