To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Learning to Talk

Med school is a fascinating thing. In the words of my preceptor, "medical schools accept people who are generally very good at talking, interacting with people and are naturally patient centred individuals, and we turn them into biomedical machines who get stuck in conversations."

I am actually afraid of interviewing patients. Before medical school, I loved talking to people and getting them to tell me about their lives. That is honestly one of the reasons I like to fly so much, you never know who will be sitting next to you for the next 4 hrs. But now, I am paranoid that I will forget to ask something, ask too many closed questions, ask too many vague questions, say something wrong, or make an inappropriate facial expression. Talking to people just became one of the most difficult and nerve racking things I have ever done.

It's not the workload that is overwhelming, it's learning how to talk, act and essentially be another person almost overnight. And being a former athlete and somebody who has not had to struggle much to do really well in school or other things I have taken up, so I'm not used to being awful at things. Somedays it makes me question whether or not I am cut out to be a doctor. Everybody has told me for such a long time that I would make  a "great doctor" but not being good at the actual doctoring bit is really hard. (Note: nobody has told me I am awful, I just feel awful because it is such a struggle to do such a simple thing.)

Med school isn't hard because of what you need to study, it is hard because of what you need to learn to become.

This is how I feel all the time in clinical skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment