To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Thursday, September 18, 2014

How to be a medical student and a patient

Basically my dilemma is summed up in the title.

I am not yet sure how to bridge the issue of me being somebody with chronic medical needs and me becoming somebody who will eventually be caring for others with chronic medical needs.

I think, right now, at this very moment I want to be a Neurologist. So, last night, when perusing "Access Medicine," there was a video on the side demonstrating a Lumbar Puncture. So I watched it.

I almost vomited. It wasn't the actual procedure that made me feel ill, it was the fact that I couldn't stop thinking about my own experiences. The procedure filmed looked like there was a lot of CSF that leaked out onto the drape (or what I would call "wasted CSF"), and all I could think of was the raging headache that the patient might have for the next few days.

I don't understand how I am ever going to be able to do procedures like this without being able to disconnect myself from my patients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment