To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Future MDs are Pretty Cool

I started medical school on August 25th, 2014.

Well, that was a weird sentence I honestly thought I would never to get to write. It all still seems like a a dream and that eventually I will wake up, and go back to just be regular old me. But I keep waking up in a room that feels foreign in a city I hardly know.

So far, the only medical school related things I have done were a part of Orientation Week. So these are the following things I have learned so far in medical school:
1. Med students seem to have an endless ability to party
2. As a whole, med students have an above average liquor tolerance
3. Med students are still above average humans when hungover, and surprisingly good at playing quiddich.
4. I feel like every single member of my class (there are only 64 of us...) have amazing talents, incredible life stories and are overall just amazing people that I am excited to spend the next four years of my life getting to know and learning from.
5. Upper Year Med students are kinda crazy.
6. Amazon Prime for students is officially the best way to buy text books in the history of man.
7. Medical schools feed you a lot...and I have decided that they do this to make you too full to ever try to run away.
8. Med School swag is awesome.
9. Getting dressed in the morning and trying to decide if what you are wearing is "Casual," "Business Casual," or "Smart Casual," and which kind of cloths belongs to which category, and whether or not adding a scarf to your outfit makes you "Smart Casual" or "Business Casual," essentially leads to a morning crisis everyday.

This is Smart Casual...
Can somebody please point out  the difference???
   
And this is Business Casual...


10. I'm like the only single person in my class...

Check back in the future to see if I have actually learned anything about medicine!!



2 comments:

  1. Hows med school going for you? Hope you're loving it or at least not hating it too much ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had one exam, which I think (hope) I passed. But honestly I feel a little overwhelmed right now with clinical skills, I just feel totally inadequate at it. All we have done so far is take vitals and try and do a history. I just get super nervous and I am so afraid of hurting somebody...I really like school, and my classmates are great, but it is the clinical skills part I am struggling with.

      Delete