To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Coming Together

It seems like everything in my life is coming together nicely now that I am in Calgary. I feel less panicky, I don't feel like there is constantly something that I need to be doing all the time in order to shape me into the perfect med-school applicant.

My research position is all set up, I know what my project is and I have completed my portion of the research award application.

I have met and spoken with my program coordinator, and he seems confident that I will do well in the Biomed program here. I was a bit worried about his class, but I didn't know that it involved a lot of lab time and hands on research. I very excited about it because I would have never gotten the opportunity to do a hands on research class like this in Guelph. I will be learning cloning techniques, experimental design, tissue culture and basically all of the lab techniques that I will need to use.

I also just got a volunteer position at the Rotary Flames House at the Alberta Children's Hospital. This isn't your average gift hospital gift shop position. I get to interact with palliative care patients and their families as well as children in respite care. I'm pretty excited about it.

I also have a meeting with the head coach at the National Cycling Centre Calgary tomorrow morning to discuss the possibility of me going through classification to become a para-cyclist. If I am able to be classified, that would be simply amazing. I'm at a huge disadvantage competing against able bodied cyclists, which at times can be very frustrating because I know that no matter how hard I train my body won't let me be at that level.

I think everything is working out in my life now that I am in Calgary. Maybe it was a bad decision not to start out here in first year, but I don't regret my time in Guelph. I am glad that I am here now, and I intend to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment