To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Friday, September 14, 2012

Things I miss

I'm really enjoying all of my classes here at uCalgary, and I am starting to make some friends (at least I think and hope). People in my program are a bit stuck up and a little bit clicky, so its not the easiest task. I feel like I made a dozen good friends in Guelph in a week back in first year.

Today it really hit me that I miss Guelph. As I was desperately running around and trying to complete my research award application before the 4pm deadline today, all I could think about were my friends back in Guelph.

So, here is a list of things that I miss about Guelph:
1. Friends, especially my twin KH
2. The abundance of Gluten Free food on campus
3. The Bullring (which is an extension of #2)
4. The Guelph Transit system and the bus drivers that were oh so nice
5. Proximity of grocery stores and grocery stores that had an abundance of Gluten Free products
6. The Bookshelf
7. Seeing familiar faces everywhere I go
8. UGC (University of Guelph Cycling Team)
9. The UOG campus in general, both the atmosphere and the people
10. The idea that I am missing out on sharing moments in lives of the people that I love, that I am missing out on those stairwell conversations with my room-mates and that we will all slowly grow apart.

Thing I like about Calgary:
1. Smaller class sizes
2. I feel like profs actually want to get to know me, and some of them already do
3. I am being presented with countless opportunities that I would have never gotten had I stayed in Guelph, such as research, research funding, amazing mentors and awesome volunteer opportunities
4. Being closer to home and especially my Grandmother who is still coping with the loss of my Grandpa
5. My condo's proximity to my classes

As you can see, so far there are more things that I miss about Guelph than things that I like about Calgary. I almost feel like I made the wrong decision to go to Guelph in the first place, not because it was a horrible experience or that I regret spending two years there, its that I didn't realize how much I would miss it and miss people. This move turned out to be harder than I thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment