To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Friday, August 24, 2012

7 Days

Yesterday was my last day of work for the summer. I was the first summer student to leave our department, the other 3 suckers still have a week left, but they had a little going away party for all of us anyway. They got us a cake and me my own mini gluten free cake which was pretty awesome. My job wasn't too exciting but I am nonetheless grateful for the experience that it provided. I am a super passive person with a backbone made of soup, and this job forced me to toughen up and make my backbone more like the consistency of jello. Every opportunity is a chance to learn, maybe I didn't have any super awesome volunteer experiences this summer, but I did learn how to deal with people who are less than happy to hear your voice. People are grumpy and angry all over the world, this summer I learned how to deal with them all day.

I am now in Calgary, and I have 7 days until the MCAT. I am really, really scared. I did another practice exam today, AAMC #5, and I got a 29 :( My Physical Science score went back down to an 8....and I am really disappointed. Usually its physics that gets me, but this time it was chemistry. My Verbal Reasoning score is back up to a 10 (thank goodness!) and I intend to keep it there if not get it higher. And Biological Science is currently at an 11 (yippee!).

I have seven days to learn what ever it is that I don't know in physical science and there is still room for improvement on biosci.

For those of you out there also preparing to take the MCAT in the near but distant future, I wish you luck. We are all in this together, the pursuit of becoming a doctor is not an easy one and it is designed to weed out the weak. This is just the first of many walls that we will have to climb.

"The brick wall isn't there to keep us out, its there to show us how badly we want something." - Randy Pausch

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the MCAT. My (completely unsolicited) advice (as someone who's been through it) is to take the day before off from studying so that you can rest, calm down, and mentally prepare yourself. Being successful on the MCAT is very much dependent on being rested and in a good mental space, and I think taking the day off puts you in a better position than the people who are still studying the morning of the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I am taking the day off today, but I can't stop staring at the pile of books and notes on my desk and I have a huge urge to continue to review! Hopefully some hill repeats on my bike this afternoon will eliminate some anxiety.

      Delete