To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Circle of Life

As some of you may or may not know, my Grandpa passed away two weeks ago. He had an amazing life, did amazing things for people and ultimately left the world a better place.

Today was his "Celebration of Life," which is basically just a happier version a funeral and sans burial.  My brother and I both spoke, and neither of us cried! We both even managed to make a few people chuckle and few people cry. It was a really great service, and the pastor at my Grandparent's church is simply amazing. It was a bit exhausting though....having to constantly meet people and have them tell me how wonderful he was all day...it was constant reminder that he is gone. I will miss him, but I am trying to remember that this is a time to rejoice in the difference he made in the lives of others rather than a time of mourning.

Yesterday, (Friday) I went to Vancouver to see my surgeon, Dr. B, again for a follow up. He was a bit puzzled by the fact that it is still swollen to the point where you can leave a thumb imprint in my ankle (it literally stays there for 5 minutes...its kinda freaky) and the fact that I have throbbing pain...but overall pleased that my nerve pain is better. He said that it could be possible that the nerve is growing into my bone....great. He is sending a e-mail to Dr. S Mackinnon in St. Louis who first preformed the procedure to see if she knows what might be going on...she is also pretty much my hero.

Dr. B saw that I was studying for the MCAT (I was working through the 1001 MCAT physics questions before my appointment), laughed and said that he can't remember anything from the MCAT because he blocked it from his memory. So...I guess it is that bad...

Racing the Tour de Bowness Crit on Monday morning, wish me luck! (Not crashing would be nice, but this course has some pretty nasty pavement and a hill section.)

Side note: I gave an elderly homeless man on Robson St in down town Vancouver (it is the shopping street of the city) $50. I don't really know why, but I even went back and re-crossed the street to give it to him. I haven't really ever felt compelled to give somebody that much money before for no apparent reason, but I just felt like I really needed to. Maybe it was my Grandpa talking...I don't know.

Peace like a river


1 comment:

  1. I like the Backgrounder and I enjoyed reading about your life events. Sometimes, we just give because we can and that is the best way to extend a hand. In so doing, the heart is at the core of the palm and this is the true gift of giving. Good luck on your exams - you sound to me like you will be successful at whatever you do. Deborah

    ReplyDelete