To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Too late

It is late, and this is probably the most important post I will have ever written. Today i graduated. Just from high school, but it feels like more than high school. Yes, I will be embarking on a new journey, a new adventure, but it is also the end of a journey and the closing of an adventure. As happy as today was, I am sad. I don't know that many people who are sad to graduate.

I also inherited some pretty special things today: my name is engraved in the Groos Salver Award plate that will be displayed in the trophy case for as long as the school is here, but I also inherited something from my grandmother that past away from cancer long before I was born. I have her emerald ring, well, I have the diamonds and the emerald reset into the same white gold that she wore. It was a gift from my parents, some kids get a car, but I much prefer something meaningful and something I can pass on to my granddaughter. Speaking of cancer, I also was recognized today for what I did for cancer patients in BC, and received a $250 award. My late grandmother lives on today, through the stones she wore, through the disease that claimed her life, and through me, through the person I have become, and am still becoming.   

I will soon embark on my journey towards becoming a doctor, my journey to helping eradicate cancer, and saving people that have been told it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment