To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Friday, October 19, 2012

From Two to Zero

My Grandpa from my Mom's side of the family passed away on Tuesday night. My brother and I jumped in the car on Monday night and drove 3 hours through the night to see him before he died. Unfortunately, when we saw him on Tuesday morning he was completely sedated. The man I saw lying in that bed struggling to breathe was not my my Grandpa.

He was the most incredible man I have ever met. He grew up in a National Park, and lived and worked in the same valley his whole life. He cut trails up to mountain lakes on horse back, gave valley kids their first plane ride, flew hunters into remote areas, rescued people on the ski hill, was a Mason, he built houses and cabins by hand, owned a Chrysler dealership and was known by all of his famous stories.  I am grateful for all of our rides on horse back, and for all of the stories he told around the dinner table.

He is the kind of man who's stories will stick around forever, he is the kind of man who is thought of as a legend. His life seemed almost like a fairytale from some children's book. He was the perfect mountain man, he knew how to survive off the land but also how to lend a hand.

In the span of four months, I went from having two Grandpa's to none.

I am pretty bitter that I can not attend his memorial service because they put it on a Tuesday. WHO PUTS A FUNERAL ON A TUESDAY???? They are expecting over 300 people to be in attendance, which is pretty much the entire valley.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment