To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Scores Are In

Today, at precisely 2:54pm Mountain Standard time I checked my MCAT score. (Which you know, I also attempted to check at 12:05pm,1:21pm and 2:17pm because I am a premed and we are obsessed with stuff like this. We can't help it.) All day, since walking in to the Health Sci building at 8:30am, its all I could think about, and I had butterflies in my stomach up until I checked to see if the scores were posted at 2:50. For some reason, I was totally okay with getting a below 30 score. It didn't matter to me anymore, because it is just a test, a test that I can take again. Next time with more food...

But,  I bet you are all dying to here what my score is, so drum-roll please....
......
.......
.....
.....
......
.......
........
......
......
......
.......
.......
......
........
........
.......
And no, there is no specific pattern in my ellipses use. Stop being so neurotic you pre-meds!
.......
.....
.....
......

I'm not going to tell you what my score is. Sorry guys, its just you know, a thing that I want to share with my friends and family. I don't want anybody to be offended or feel like they are a God if they did better or just a mere mortal if they did worse. SERIOUSLY GUYS ITS JUST ONE TEST! And yeah, I know it seems like the most important test you will ever take, but lets face it, there is no single most important test in your life. Except maybe that drug test your National Sport Doping Control Agency asks you take...that's pretty darn important.

So if you got your score back and are disappointed with it, chill, study smarter (not necessarily harder) and write it again. Take a year off if you have graduated, get a sweet job, travel and volunteer. No matter how good or how awful your score is, its the person, not the number(and letter) that counts.

I will tell you that my score is probably good enough for all of the Canadian schools that I want to go to. Lets just say, I got the same composite score as my room-mate (with a higher writing sample score) and she is currently in her first year of medicine. I surprised myself with my PS score, way higher than I expected, met my VR expectations and disappointed with my BS score. (Remember the whole MCAT fiasco where I majorly bonked and felt like passing out during the BS section? Yeah, I blame that.) But, my score was fairly even across the board, so its solid, and I'm 75% happy with it.

I will apply next summer/fall for the Fall 2014 intake, and if I don't get in, then maybe I will consider rewriting. But for now, I plan on keeping my MCAT stuff in a box, and not looking at.

Remember, relax. For y'all who are type A personalities, just take a step back, and look at the whole picture. When people chuck baseballs at you, learn to use a bat and hit one back at em'. (I will let you interpret that metaphor on you own, you are a smart cookie.)

Peace like a river

No comments:

Post a Comment