To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Life of a Kid

I had to attend a palliative care training course today, it was depressing, but also opened my eyes to how important the role of a volunteer can be for an individual at the end of life and for my volunteer situation, a family. I volunteer at a pediatric hospice, but its 80% respite care and 20% end of life. I haven't actually been there yet when there was a kid and family there for end of life care, I have just played games and done fun things with kids who have pretty severe and disabling conditions. Every kid that comes through the door (unless they are a sibling) are technically considered to be palliative meaning that they have shortened life spans, but are not necessarily actively dying.

Today also happens to be the anniversary of a pretty tragic death in my own hometown. On this day, 8 years ago, a boy named Chris, who was a year older than me, passed away from a quading accident. We used to play on the same soccer team every year and went to the same school. He was an amazing athlete and would have gone far in life. He was airlifted to Calgary, and stayed overnight in the ICU, and I can remember our principal the next morning going around to each classroom telling us what had happened. It was hard, at 11 years old, to wrap my head around somebody my own age dying from something that kids do everyday in my town, from something so simple as quading at the ski hill with some friends after school. Its hard not to think of who he would have become if the accident didn't happen.

I wish that these kids I play with on Friday mornings could have the chance to grow up to be something amazing, that they would be able to fulfill their dreams.Today was the kind of day that really makes you think about life, and instead of thinking about why bad things happen to people, I am thinking about why they didn't happen to me. Why am I so lucky to be celebrating my 20th birthday in a week when some kids don't even make it to their 5th, 10th, or 16th birthday?

I just need to focus on giving it 110% everyday on behalf of those who cannot.

Peace Like a River.

No comments:

Post a Comment