To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Monday, January 7, 2013

Looming Medical School Applications

On Christmas eve we had some family friends from the US come for our Christmas dinner (they are originally from Poland, but the used to live in our small town about fifteen years ago). Both of their kids are in medical school (one is in OD school I believe) and they told me that there are a fair number of Canadian students in their class. This gives me hope, because I will be applying to the US (lets face it, I only really have any chance at 3/11 Canadian schools, and that doesn't leave for many options).

It was interesting talking to them about the application process and I was surprised to learn that they both applied to about 30 schools! We don't even have 30 schools in Canada! My plan was to apply to 10 US schools and 6 Canadian schools, which would total to 16 applications. Basically, I will be spending what ever I earn this summer on medical school applications. I also found out that in the US, you might receive offers of admission before the end of October!! Our applications don't even close until October. 

I wouldn't mind going to an American school, it would be better than the Caribbean...I will just be paying student loans until I die....and health insurance might be a bit of an issue for me.

I feel like I am steadily starting to build up my application though, even if I am about a year too late. I was just accepted in a program called PEMRAP - Pediatric Emergency Medicine Research Associates Program. After I go through training all of this month and next month I will be enrolling patients in emergency medicine related studies. I'm pretty excited about it, but it does mean I will be spending 8 hours of every Monday at the Children's Hospital. Good times!

Cycling also going pretty good too, I just spent the last week in Tucson at a provincial team training camp. We rode a lot...and I'm exhausted, but ready for the first day of classes tomorrow. For some reason we start the semester on a Tuesday...but I'm all for it! I spent the entire day yesterday travelling, and I haven't unpacked my bike yet...I hope it still resembles a bike after the whatever trauma United Air inflicted upon it.

Team photo on the last day at Colossal Cave Park








6 comments:

  1. Visiting from MM - great to check out your blog!

    Ray Doc Wife!

    http://raydocwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up with us again at Medical Mondays. Some people apply at lots of schools, others not so many.... I don't know what the average is. Sounds like your PEMRAP will certainly help build that application! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!! There were *a lot* of Canadian students at my fiances medical school. The PEMRAP sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Whitney said- there are *a LOT* of Canadian medical students at my husband's school- different from AUC. My husband is attending St.George's University in the Caribbean and the opportunities are the same, or sometimes more for Caribbean medical school graduates. :)

    Just an idea!

    Any way that you can build up your application will help you. :) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not too sure what you mean by "a LOT" but I'm glad to here that we do exist in medical schools below the 49th parallel! I usually here of only 1 Canadian being accepted in to non-state schools per year, but it seems as though this info is pretty misguided (then again, its coming from people in Canada....).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing you on the grid again this month! Congrats on the PEMRAP acceptance! My husband attended medical school in the late 80's and we just finished paying off his loans in our forties. HMFFFFF....

    ReplyDelete