To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Its Official

Yesterday I was discriminated against in an interview because of my dad. Its not like he is a bad, or evil lawyer, he is one of the few just and honorable ones. Which I suppose might be the problem, he is just too darn good at his job.

I got woken up by a phone call yesterday at about 10 am (yeah, I know, I just finished a year of university, you can't expect me to get up at 6 am for no reason),  to come for an interview at 1:00 for the Water Smart Ambassador job. So I got all professionally dressed up, even put on some make up for a change, and when downtown for the interview. It was going fabulous, then about halfway through (I'm pretty sure it was about halfway through, but it could have just been a really short interview) she asked me, "Oh, are you (insert name)'s daughter?"

What am I supposed to do? Lie, say no, make up a story of how my family died in a tragic accident? I said yes. Interview over, just like that, just because of my name. I might as well be a black Muslim, stripper, terrorist and I probably would have had a better chance at the job.

I found out later that night from my dad that he was on the other side of some union negotiations with the municipality (him being on the municipality side), the women who interviewed me was a union rep involved with said negotiations. The union didn't get what they wanted because me dad is just too darn good at doing his job, so I didn't get what I wanted, a job. I know its not fair, but I guess I eventually need to know what it feels like to be the one who is discriminated against because of who I am.

My dad is pretty 'tight' with the district, (I find it somewhat unnerving to refer to somebody who wears a suit everyday with being 'tight' with anyone, but I couldn't think of a better word), and I know that he called the administrator today. However, I made it clear that I did not what the person who did this to me to suffer any consequences. I'm going to be the bigger person. "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

No comments:

Post a Comment