To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived. That is to have succeeded. - RW Emerson

Thursday, March 15, 2012

"The best is yet to come"

There were (and still are) thundershower warnings for the day, but they weren't supposed to start until about 5. So I figured a 1 hour 15min ride after my nutrition class would get me home in time, but I was a bit worried that I might get caught in the rain. I hummed and hawed for a bit, checked the weather network about 12 times to make sure nothing was changing, and then finally decided to pull my kit on.

BEST DECISION EVER! You are probably thinking something amazing happened during that 40km ride...well, you would be wrong. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, other than I had one of the best rides I have had since the summer. The wind wasn't too strong, it was 20 degrees Celsius out, but not too sunny and it was humid so the air just felt nice. I raced a bus for about 3 km, and won, I did a few hill repeats and it felt great. There wasn't too much traffic out, so I was able to avoid all the rough patches in pot holes in the road and take the smoothest routes across the train tracks.

What made this ride even better was that my ankle didn't hurt so much and my leg felt strong, allowing me to pedal at a higher cadence and a lot smoother than usual. I actually felt like I was flying, not riding a bike. It was just simply an amazing feeling.

I also just came back from an Athletes in Action seminar (an organization that helps your faith to growth through your sport) and the speaker was John Hood. He is a member of the Hamilton Tiger Cats CFL team. He shared with us his personal story and struggle to make it to the pros, and that not everything worked out the way he had planned. Despite having things get in the way of his dream, he just kept at and kept faith that everything was happening as part of a bigger plan. And that everything that happened to him, although it may have been perceived as a set back or negative when it was happening, actually made him a more determined person and changed his life for the better. 

His talk really helped me to see and begin to understand that maybe everything that is happening and happened to me, namely chronic pain, is actually what is shaping my future and may actually be providing me with a path to reach my dreams. Its not the path I mapped out, but its a path that was hidden and waiting for me, and all I need to is have faith and follow that path, taking each opportunity as it comes and making the most of it.

As John Hood said, "The best is yet to come," and I chose to believe that he is right, and I will not stop working towards my dream of becoming a doctor. Whatever gets in my way is only preparing for what has yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment